Friday 10 April 2009

NVidia Cards on Debian (specifically Lenny)

Anyone running Debian Xorg will know that getting accelerated Graphics drivers working (beyond using the nv driver) is more complicated than achieving world piece. I tried the official nvidia drivers, I tried the packages within the repositories, all to no effect.  However, http://desiato.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html has perfect instructions which worked first time.

Just a bit of detail around my card for reference:

  • Nvidia GeForce 6200 128mb AGP.
  • Debian Lenny (v 2.6.26-1-686)
  • Intel Desktop Mobo (An 82865 IIRC).
  • Gnome Desktop

I hope this is of use to someone, as I lost many an hour trying to get all other instructions working.  Also, for reference,  I gave up trying to get an ancient  Riva TNT2 working, but the 6200 is an excellent upgrade, and pretty cheap too.   It also means I'm able to decommission a PC from the living room, and hopefully I'll be able to get XBMC compiled and working on it too.

No comments: